Thursday, March 25, 2010

miniature garden

I'd like to have a green thumb but the truth is I don't. But when we were at the garden center the other day to get plants to dress up our front porch, Alfredo and I fell in love with the enchanting miniature gardens they had. What I didn't love was the price...all the way up to $500!

I've been thinking of them and wondering if we couldn't make one ourselves. So yesterday we went back to the garden center and bought some plants they suggested for miniature gardens and made one ourselves. We're still working on the fun part...decorating! We definitely need a garden gnome, don't you think?

At the garden center they said that just about any small ground covering, like this scotch moss, can work for the grass part. The light green plant is another ground covering called "Golden Creeping Speedwell". The flowering plant is called "charm". And you can't see it but in the back there's a tiny fern like plant called "Green Brass Buttons". The little shrub is a miniature cedar called Tenzan. It won'g grow more than 1/2 inch per year at most.

The garden center we went to is rather expensive. Each of these little plants were $5 and the miniature cedar was $12 so we spent about $50 on the plants. Still I really love it and I'm hoping my thumb will be green enough to keep it alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment