Monday, February 8, 2010

getting real, part one

I'm the sort of person whose cupboards and closets and garage and under-bed are a jumbled up mess of stuff, stashed away, out of site. Today as I literally threw a spice into the leaning tower of spices otherwise known as my spice cupboard, I started considering this tendency.


I had the thought that this kind of behavior is not very mature...and wondered how it might mirror in how I handle other less tangible messes in my life. What do I do with conflict? What happens when something not so pleasant pops up?

I'm a big-time sweeper of things under the rug.

If things appear okay on the outside, then things are okay. Even if everything inside is about to topple over.

I'm not saying that my life is in turmoil...not at all. But my spice cupboard is. And several other places.

So I had this thought...if I cleared out these places...took responsibility and ordered the messes...it would make me feel better in some hidden place inside my mind that lives in fear that someone will someday open up all my cupboards and hidden places to find all my secret messes. Would it help me recognize this tendency with how I handle my emotions and give me a blueprint for how to conquer that too?

We'll see.

But today, I start with this cupboard. Stay tuned for the more organized after.

Want to play along? What messes are you hiding? Are you ready to make order?

UPDATE
That didn't take long...

I sorted the spices and found that I had a whole bunch of the same spices. What happens is if I'm not sure I have a spice at home, I buy another. Even if I'm at home putting together the grocery list, if it's too much trouble to sort through the rubble of the spice cupboard, I'd just buy another. I had 5 jars of Emeril's Original Essence. That's not right.

I threw out anything that seemed old or that I couldn't remember ever buying. I put duplicate jars in the middle and top shelves. I put the things I use the most at the bottom shelf and on the door.

I feel fresh and happy and free. Yes, just a little bit free. This is a good feeling.

Today, Spice Cabinet. Tomorrow, Junk Drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment