Wednesday, August 3, 2011

be my friend...

Yesterday afternoon, as I waited for the air conditioning repairman to arrive, I worked quietly on the sweet project Kristen contributed to the Summer issue (you've got to get it!)



I made 6 of her friendship bracelets so far and I'm itching to make more. They are so much fun to make! I'm thinking of making a whole bunch and giving them to friends when I see them. 

I made the first 3 with leather cording, as Kristen directed, and seam binding...




Aren't they fun?
These are totally my "I'm learning how to do it" 3. 

And then I ran out of leather. 

I searched my stuff for something that could be substituted...after trying a few things that didn't work (like twine)...I came upon a package of lovely pink corset binding. Who knows how long I've had it, afraid to use it, or even where it came from but I decided to use it. I need to do that more often because my accumulation of craft supplies is out of control. I also tried using vintage velvet ribbon. I love how it looks at the end but since you don't really see so much of it, it was kind of a waste of something so valuable. 

And then I found the sweetest, tiniest rhinestone buckles to use as slides for the bracelets. And oh my stars, they look so sweet! I think I found them on etsy a while ago...they are made for wedding invitation embellishments. Look for real metal ones instead of the el-cheapo plastic ones for this project. 

So, look how sweet..



Maybe you can see that I'm still perfecting the technique...I'm almost there. And I can't wait to make more.

If you want to see exactly how to make your own, subscribe to the Summer issue and look for Kristen's awesome project.

No comments:

Post a Comment