Tuesday, May 31, 2011

hat making

When I was little, our school had an "Easter Parade" each year. Everyone made their own hat. The best was chosen, only one from all the grades in lower elementary, and the winner won free ice cream for a whole week! When you are 7 years old, that is like winning the lottery. At least it was in 1978. Maybe things have changed a bit.

Anyway, each year, I began planning my hat weeks in advance. My father would help me and together we would make the most incredible hats you've ever seen. I remember one in particular that started with a paper plate and finished up the most extravagant, beautiful hat you can imagine complete with a huge pink ostrich feather. It has always seemed like such an injustice that I never won the hat day prize. Not once.

So when I set about making a hat for Mary Engelbreit's birthday party this weekend, I tapped into my inner 7-year-old-self and created something of a masterpiece, worthy of a week of free ice cream for sure...




On Monday I'll have a Nutty Buddy...On Tuesday I'll have an Ice Cream Sandwich...On Wednesday I'll have an Orange Push-Up...

No comments:

Post a Comment