Monday, April 26, 2010

a nice surprise

Rich had lots of paper work to do this weekend so I decided to skip town with Alfredo for the weekend to give him some space and time. We headed out early Friday morning for my parents' house.

My parents live in a very small town...there are only two stoplights and sometimes the most exciting thing to do in the town is watch them change color.

Not this past Saturday night though...you won't believe the exciting thing that happened Saturday night...

My mother said she had tickets for a performance on Saturday night and she had talked to Daddy and they decided that I should go with Momma and he would stay with Alfredo. "What kind of show is it?" I asked my mother. "Four guys singing together" and then she showed me the advertisement...

I couldn't believe my eyes! These guys are world famous...and were coming to my rinky-dink hometown to sing?!! They were just on Oprah, for heaven's sake!

The concert was absolutely amazing. After intermission, Seth (who had a front row, center seat) traded seats with me. He said he was trading with me because he wanted one of them to kiss me. I teased him after show with an elaborate story about how one of them begged me to marry him but I had to tell him that I was already hitched. He believed me and I had a time convincing him that I was just kidding.

My little town gave these guys a standing ovation that demanded an encore. A few people, including me, shouted out "Hallelujah!" hoping that's what they'd sing next and they joked that it sounded like they were in church with all the Hallelujah shouts.

I had two favorite songs, besides the encore..."O, Sole Mio" was sung solo by Victor Micallef...it was absolutely amazing. It made me feel guilty though for taking my father's place. He would have really loved hearing that song especially. And when they sang "The Prayer" tears sprung to my eyes...so powerful!

It was such a nice evening and so different from what first came to my mind when my mother said "four guys singing together"...I thought it was going to be a barbershop quartet! The Canadian Tenors? Unbelievable. Go see them if they come visit your town...you must!

No comments:

Post a Comment