Monday, January 4, 2010

adventures in needlefelting

I got a couple of needlefelting kits for Christmas and...

I'm hooked!
I started with this kit that my sister Jessica gave me for Christmas. And it was a really good place to start. It was fast, fun, and easy. One day last week while Alfredo napped, I worked on it happily and was finished by the time he woke up. (And I think it was a short nap that day!)

The needles are VERY sharp and barbed so you have to be extra careful. I did poke myself once and it still smarts.

After the cupcake, I was inspired to try the backyard birds kit that Rich gave me...
It was fun but the results weren't as pleasing to me. They turned out a little off and creepy to me...


But I do like how sweet the bluebird turned out.
I added a bit of color to the cheeks which made it more cute/less realistic. I think that's one reason I liked it better.
After those kits, I was ready to get a little funky...
Okay, maybe A LOT funky. When I was making the swirl of the cupcake frosting, I kept thinking what a fun beehive it would make.
And then I decided to make a bird of my own...
a little Springtime bird with mary janes and a fun hat. Once I got started, it was hard to stop.
I'm having so much fun working in this new-to-me medium. It feels a bit like sculpture and I'm really getting the hang of it, I think.
I even made an itty bitty version.
Here's my little helper...
Thank you all so much for the kindness and encouragement you sent out in your comments and emails. We are so thrilled by our good news and are so happy this new year.

In other news, Alfredo's birthday is coming in less than two weeks. I have some work to do to get ready. First things first...the invitation. Hopefully I'll get those out in the mail today. I'll give you a sneak peek first though.

Oh, and there are just a few stitch kits up at the etsy shop. This is the last of it...I'm all out of the little books...but I'll start working on another kit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment