Wednesday, December 4, 2013

St. Nick

Friday is St. Nicholas' feast day. When children leave their shoes out the night before, St. Nick will stop by and fill them with treats. He leaves children treats at Alfredo's school too. The children usually leave their shoes lined up in the hallway but last year St. Nick's helpers were caught red-handed. This year, I helped St. Nick by making paper shoes. Look how sweet they turned out:


I adapted this pattern by adding a shoe tongue and real ribbon laces. Then I printed the template onto patterned scrapbook paper. Here's the template for my adaptation if you want to make some too.


St. Nick traditionally leaves gold coins, a candy cane and a clementine. We have allergy concerns in the classroom so I used plastic coins instead of chocolate or candy ones. I added a few little gifts like a Christmas pencil and eraser, a ball, and a little pad of paper. I also tucked in a St. Nicholas prayer card. I put all the gifts (except the prayer card and clementine) in a little muslin bag with an ironed-on graphic. I used one of the sticker graphics from here.


Whew! 30 paper shoes, all set to deliver on Friday.  We'll set them out at their desks while they are at mass in the morning.


Happy St. Nicholas Day...December 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment